Rock in the Stream - Plein Air Oil Painting


"Rock in the Stream"
6"x6"
Oil on gessobord
Available
It was a very cold day at the park. Cold, cloudy, with on-and-off rain, and I did not feel like painting the landscape because in cloudy days colors and value contrast are not there, and paintings come out a sort of bleah (at least my paintings, lol).

So, since I was already at the park and I had made the effort to bring all my painting gears with me, I looked around for something interesting, and found a stream.
Promising.
In the stream I saw this rock, and I decided to give it a try.
Now you should know that I try to avoid painting two kind of things: things I don't like and things that I deem too difficult.  Moving water is one of the latter, very challenging to paint. I rarely saw painting of moving water (by anybody ) that I liked.

The fact that I had a small 6"x6" with me (not over-committing) helped me pick a challenging subject. I tried it out. And you know what? I think that overall it turned out much above expectations. I like my rock in the stream. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape