Colorful Mixed Media Still Life Painting: Sweet and Sour

Sometimes I need to step out of my usual body of work of landscapes and city scenes, which I usually paint from photo, and dive into the fascinating process of painting from life using mixed media.

So, here it is, Sweet and Sour, an example of such a case. It came out colorful and fun, and I'm really happy with it.

I used acrylic paint, paper, and water soluble pastels. I did not use my stencils in this, I feel like it has enough interesting marks as is.



mixed media still life painting by Robie Benve
"Sweet and Sour"
10" x 10"
Acrylic, paper, and water soluble pastels.
SOLD

From An Abstract Start

I started on a wood panel that I had primed with gesso, and created a base using paint and tissue paper. Some of the paper had patterns on it, you can still be see some of the polka dots.
I really like that touch of whimsical :)

With An Abstract Way of Seeing Things

I added paint to created the forms of the different objects, focusing on one shape at the time,  looking at things in an abstract kind of way.
As I paint, I don't see strawberries, lemons, and utensils, I see lines, triangles, semi-circles, and so on. I try to replicate those shapes on the flat surface of the panel, paying attention to how they relate to each other in shape, color, and tone.

To A Representational Painting

I keep comparing and adding and changing until all the shapes make sense in relationship with the rest.
When I step back and look with "normal" eyes, voila'! I see the objects that I have just painted. It's like magic every time.  :)

Sold!

Thanks so much to the collector from Maryland that purchased this piece. I know it is going to look great with some other paintings that she bought in the past, I hope she'll send me a photo of how she hung my paintings and gives me permission to post it.
It is always a blessing when someone loves my work so much that they decide to pay for it and see it every day in their home. 
My heart is full.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape