Me Giving a Painting Demo at Bryn Du Mansion

Last week I went to the Bryn Du Mansion, in Granville, Ohio and volunteered at the 14th Annual Fine Art Juried Show. 
One of my paintings, Heading South, has been accepted in the professional category, and I was looking forward to seeing this wonderful show of talented amateur and professional artists. Truly a lot of talent in the exhibit!

I volunteer as a docent in the morning and giving a demo in the afternoon.



Me painting a demo at Bryn Du Mansion.
This has been the first time that I've ever offered a demo with a live audience, I was a little nervous and really did not know what to expect.

A couple of art lovers sat through the whole process, a few other patrons came and went. I am very grateful for the two that stayed the whole time because they allowed me to learn a lot of things about myself and the demo-giving process.



Robie Benve Painting Demo 
I had a lot of fun during the demo!

My painting at the end of the demo, still a lot of work to do.

I didn't think I would be able to paint and talk at the same time, I was afraid that my options were either make a decent painting or talking to people because when I have a conversation, I can't really paint.

However, I found out that there is a huge difference between having a casual conversation while you paint, and actually speaking out loud the thoughts that are going through your mind during the creative process.

The latter is surely much easier and comfortable.

So, in spite of my fear of giving a silent and boring demo, I actually talked a lot, explaining  why I was doing things, and what I was trying to achieve, whether it worked or not.
My audience was super nice and supportive, and I even had the impression that they enjoyed the demo!



Me posing next to my painting in the show "Heading South"
I also found out that with an audience my creative attention span lasts longer. Usually, I can paint for an hour/hour and a half straight, then I need a short break. Here I painted for two hours and I could have continued easily for one more, but my time was up, and I had to go pick up my kids from school.

On my way out after the demo, I asked a young man that was visiting to take a few photos of me next to my painting in the show.


This is me again, posing with my painting in the show and the demo painting.


The Bryn Du Mansion, in Granville, OH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape