SKY HIGH - My First Solo Show

My First Solo Exhibit!
at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center
1-30 October 2015

My first solo show, and I am so proud of it! Who would have thought that this day will come?
Yeah, maybe I did wish it was coming, but it came sooner than I thought. Yay me!!!!

I look at the photos and I think "that's my work, in a gallery, and it looks great". There are many reasons for me to feel proud today, here are some.
  1. I have been able to create a body of work that stands together, with a theme and a flow. Considering how I like change and experimentation, this is quite an achievement on its own. I can't even cook the same recipe exactly the same twice, I like to tweak and change, improvise. The trick has been finding a subject matter that I really love: skies and sunsets, and how they influence the landscape. That never tires me. Plus the paintings are all a little different, even being connected by a thread.
  2. Of the five years that I've been painting, this last year has been the one I feel I made the biggest steps forward. I can see the progress in my work, and I truly believe that it's due to the increased pace with which I paint. I have been so prolific in this past year! I have painted landscapes en plein air, figures, still lives (my usual mix of things) AND I have been working on building the body of work for the Sky High show.
  3. Having the show as a goal provided me the motivation and the deadline that I needed. Often I need an extra push to avoid procrastination and being sidetracked by all the things that go on in life. Knowing that I was going to exhibit my work this October, for anyone to be seen and critiqued, gave me that extra adrenaline that kept me painting longer hours, sometimes until past midnight if the day was too busy to paint.
  4. I think the exhibit looks pretty good. For being a self taught beginner painter, I'd say it looks terrific! And that makes me happy. There, I said it. I am happy!

"Sky High"
 Sky High sums up the way I feel, pretty much.

                                      :)
                                           :)
                                                 :)

Yesterday I gave a talk at the Cultural Arts Center about my artwork. I really enjoyed sharing my story and my artwork with the audience. I was nervous about it, in fact I did not advertise it much, but it turned out to be such a wonderful experience. A big thanks to all of those that attended.

Me during the Art Talk at the Cultural Arts Center
Photo by Lynda Guenther

I used to be terrified about speaking to an audience. Ten years ago this would have made me sleepless and stomach clenched for days. Now, I am still nervous, but somehow I managed to look calm. Several people told me I did not look nervous at all, how wonderful and amazing is that?

Thankful.
Sky High and Thankful.
That's the feeling.



Comments

  1. Well, yay!
    Over the last week or so, I've gone through your journey with you from the first blog post to now, so YAY! I'm proud of you! Although this was months ago for you, it's kind of now for me... blogs are weird that way.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks a lot for reading so much of my blog and for your supportive comments! I feel like I found a new friend in you, even if we never met. Blogs are weird that way too. :)
      Big hugs and happy painting to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are welcome. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape