Waterfalls at Franklin Park - Landscape Oil Painting

"Waterfalls at Franklin Park"
8"x10"
Sold

I recently completed my third session of plein air classes with Joe Lombardo, the first session being last spring.  In these classes we go to a different park each week, Joe does a demo, then we all paint and he comes around and provides constructive critique. Joe has really pushed me to paint faster and loser, two things that I always strive to achieve.
A couple of weeks ago we went to Franklin Park, and behind the Conservatory there are these nice waterfalls. However, running water is not easy to paint, an I usually dislike most waterfall paintings I see, be mine or other people's. There is always something "off" about them.
At first I thought I was going to choose another subject, but then I said to myself "what the heck, I'm here to learn, I should embrace challenges".

I decided to give it a try.
A photo of me at Franklin Park while painting the waterfall.

To make things a little more challenging, I used a new gesso board, much sleaker than the usual ones I buy, and at first I struggled making the paint stick to the surface, it was "sliding" everywhere. After the first thin layers it got better, thicker paint was easier to apply over a base coat.
It turns out I actually liked the resulting painting. I think it's true enough to the scene, and painterly enough to make me happy.

Overall a successful painting experience!  : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape