Italian Landscape Painting: View of Bassano


I was commissioned by some good friends to paint this view of Bassano, a town in Italy that they love very much. I've had it on my easel for a while, keeping it on the back burner, adding some more paint every once in a while. One of the reasons I procrastinated was that they had no rush. The other reason was that I was afraid to mess it up for them.

Now it's done, ready for delivery.  And with great relief I think it turned out well.  : )

The view is quite similar to the real one, I only "moved" several elements closer to each other, so that they all fit in the painting: the home, the bridge, and the trees on the left of the building were visible from slightly different points of views. A few preliminary sketches helped me visualize how I could fit them all in the same scene.

"Bassano"
Oil on canvas
18"x24"
Sold

As much as I was intimidated at the beginning, I actually enjoyed the whole painting process very much.
I was afraid that, being a commission, I would be too worried abut the final results, and it would make me paint tightly, so I made a point of keeping it loose.
I started by toning the upper part with a bright cadmium yellow, and that gave a sense of cheerfulness that helped keeping the process fun. The lower part I toned it blue. This way I had already a head-start on painting both the water and the buildings.

I can't wait to give it to them and see how they like it. Hopefully they will.

UPDATE: the painting has been delivered and is now hanging in its new home, and I am very happy to report that they loved it!

Thanks for reading my blog!

Blessings!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape