Day 7 of 30-in-30 Challenge - Wisdom, Mixed Media Painting

The mixed media adventure continues!

Today I was inspired to include a figure into an abstract painting, and add layers of colors, textures, and shapes to make it unpredictable and more interesting.

I took a few photos in between, just to record some of the progression in the layering, you get to see a few of the steps below.

"Wisdom"
15"x20"
Mixed media on paper


Here are some of the steps


Begining: I started by tracing my hand and doodling with water soluble markers and color pencils. Then I sprayed with water, which made the markers bleed and spread.

Wisdom WIP - Beginning
WIP: Then I drew a figure with colored pencils, colored the background with ink, added some purple cut paper, and magenta stencil patterns.

Wisdom WIP

WIP 2: I applied layers of tissue paper over many areas, creating texture and filtering the prominent purple paper. 
Then I added some acrylic paint on the texture, and stenciled in positive words on the girls hair and heart. This photo is much lighter than the others...


Wisdom WIP 2

Final: I wanted to add symbols of knowledge to complement the positive words, so I wrote geometry formulas on tissue paper and applied. I made colors deeper using acrylic washes and accents.

Wisdom Final

Overall I can say that I really enjoyed the progress of this piece, and as expected I already have ideas for a new one with a "hidden figure" in it. 

Thanks for stopping by!

:)

______  __  ______

Are you receiving my newsletter?
I send one every 2-3 months, with updates about my paintings,
events that I'm involved with, and other news.
Interested? 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter is Coming - Portrait, Acrylic on Canvas

Painting Outside Is Always a Challenge, but So Much Fun! - Yield to Pedestrian, Oil Painting

Cow on Swisse Alps - Acrylic Landscape